The number of individuals and couples presenting and seeking help with fertility issues is increasing every year. We read about it in the newspapers every other day. What you may not be aware of is just how effective natural medicine is at improving your chances of conceiving naturally or in conjunction with IVF treatment. There is a place for both complementary and conventional medicine. We work in conjunction with your medical team to maximise your chances of conceiving as quickly as possible.
If you are already having IVF treatment you may want to talk to your doctor about a referral for acupuncture treatment which can make a significant contribution to your chances of success and will also make a real difference to how you feel and cope during IVF treatment.
Preconception care is a period of preparation. We prepare for everything else in life: holidays, work, weddings and so on, what can be more important than giving a little time and thought into preparing for the creation of your children. It takes two to make a baby; each of you will contribute to the creation of the genetic make-up of a brand new human being. We want you to be as healthy as possible before you try to conceive. Not everyone will have the opportunity to complete the full preparation time as you may already be having IVF treatment, you can certainly benefit from the addition of nutritional support and acupuncture.
There is growing evidence that preconception care may improve the health outcomes of both yourself and your baby by reducing:
- Miscarriage rates
- Low birth weight
- Premature births
- Major birth defects
- Pregnancy related problems and complications
HOW TO BEGIN AND WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE
Ideally we like to see you both at least three to four months before you are planning to conceive because it takes about the three months for sperm formation and the egg is susceptible to damage during this time also.
Preconception care is based on very practical steps to enable men and women to maximize their own health and that of their baby.
- It is tailored to the individual/couples need, incorporating a review of your overall health, including diet, lifestyle factors and environmental factors.
- A referral to your doctor for a medical assessment is advisable at this time. Appropriate screening will be based on your assessment and a treatment plan will be tailored to your individual needs.
- This will include dietary and lifestyle advice with appropriate nutrient supplementation to optimize the egg and sperm quality.
- In addition, any existing or identified general or reproductive health issues will be addressed using acupuncture to correct pre-existing conditions and enhance your vitality. Herbal medicine or homoeopathy may also be utilized to treat pre-existing conditions.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON FERTILITY PROBLEMS THAT WE TREAT IN CLINIC?
- Inability to conceive
- IVF support
- Stress & anxiety related to infertility
- Irregular cycles or absent cycles
- PCOS & endometriosis
- Premature ovarian failure
- History of miscarriage
- History of abnormal birth defects
- Fibroids & ovarian cysts
- Auto-immune disorders
- Low sperm count & sperm antibodies
- Low sperm motility & poor sperm morphology
It will come as no surprise to anyone that cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana are all detrimental to the quality of your precious eggs and sperm. Other lifestyle factors are also involved.Women:
- We know that smoking decreases your chances of conception by 40% per month compared to non-smoker of the same age, and it increases the chances of miscarriage and the rate of ectopic pregnancies
- There is increasing evidence that alcohol and coffee are potentially harmful in terms of conceiving and miscarriage
- Cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, alcohol and excess weight all decrease and appear to increase risk of long term health effects on their children
- Environmental factors such as the occupational exposure to pesticides has been associated with an increased risk of delayed conception and an increased risk of miscarriage